3 Ways to Create Morning Time for Yourself as a Woman PhysicianFeb 10, 2023
Every morning as a mom and woman physician, I am reminded of the immense responsibilities I carry. But here’s the thing, before I drown in my thoughts, I always start each day with a grateful heart. Grateful for sunshine, my cup of coffee, a breath of fresh air, and another day to live – all while basking in my glorious pajamas, savoring every minute of my short but precious morning me time.
As a busy mom and a working physician, I often ask myself: “How can I do it all?”
Why does Morning Time Matter?
I know firsthand the demands of the job. I spend countless hours providing care for my patients, and it is easy to get caught up in the never-ending cycle of responsibilities. But with all the time I dedicate to helping others, it is just as important for me to take a step back and prioritize my well-being. That's why I firmly believe that as a physician, we all deserve a dedicated morning time.
Start every morning by giving yourself some healthy reminders like these:
● I deserve to take a few moments each day to recharge, refresh, and reset my mind.
● I deserve to start each day with a clear mind and positive energy, which allows me to approach my work with renewed focus and compassion.
● By carving out time for myself in the mornings, I can improve my overall health, boost my productivity, and enhance my overall sense of happiness and fulfillment.
So, to all my fellow working mamas out there, I say this: You deserve morning time for yourself too.
We should not hesitate to invest into our well-being and should dedicate just a few moments each day to prioritize our health. Remember, you are just as important as your patients and your family. Taking care of yourself is just as crucial as taking care of others.
I used to wake up feeling I never had enough time in the day. By simply creating a morning time, I realized that I can set the tone for a more productive and fulfilling day. And now, I believe that by carving out some morning time, we can give ourselves a much-needed jumpstart for the day.
Women Physicians are Great Multitaskers
Women physicians are multitasking masters. We balance complex medical diagnoses, patient demands, and hectic schedules with ease. As a woman physician, I understand the demanding nature of the job. I have also been in that zone - juggling my career and my family, and I ended up compromising the cost of my well-being. I know how easy it can be to get caught up in the never-ending cycle of responsibilities and neglect self-care.
But what if I told you that dedicating just a few moments each morning to prioritize health and happiness can make a big impact on your overall well-being? That's right! By creating morning time for yourself as a woman physician, you take control of your day, and that’s a very empowering move, to begin with.
Start your day strong with a morning routine dedicated to yourself. Download my FREE time management course and get ready to take control of your day here.
3 Simple Steps to a Better Day
As a woman physician, my demanding schedule can make it challenging to carve out time for myself, especially in the mornings. However, I always believe that starting the day on the right foot can set the tone for the rest of the day. Here are 3 easy steps to help you create a better morning routine and start each day with positivity and purpose as a woman physician:
Step 1: Wake Up Earlier
Snooze, snooze, and snooze, then boom! You're late and scrambling. Sister, hitting that snooze button repeatedly can make it difficult to start the day on time. And when this becomes a habit, it can lead to oversleeping, feeling rushed in the morning, and having a frantic and stressful start to the day. Nobody wants that!
This can affect our ability to prioritize tasks and responsibilities, potentially leading to a less productive and more stressful day. Ultimately, this causes us to feel the need to rush and cram activities into a limited amount of time.
Do you want to change that? It’s simple. Here is my tip: Set your alarm clock a little earlier to give yourself extra time to focus on yourself each morning.
Waking up earlier can have a profound impact on our daily routine. It allows us to dedicate extra time to prioritize self-care and mindfulness before starting the day. By setting your alarm clock just 15 minutes earlier, you can create a dedicated space of time to focus solely on yourself and your needs. This extra time in the morning can be used to engage in activities that promote mindfulness, physical health, and personal growth. Here are some things I like to do:
● Meditation - For me, this is a powerful tool for reducing stress and anxiety, improving focus and concentration, and enhancing overall mental well-being. By starting my day with a few minutes of meditation, I can set the tone for a calm and productive day ahead.
● Exercise - This one for me is essential for maintaining physical health and fitness and has a positive impact on my mental state. Whether it's a quick workout at home or a brisk walk outside, taking the time to engage in physical activity in the morning can help me feel more energized and ready to tackle the day.
● Enjoy my Morning Cup - You can never go wrong with this one. A cup of coffee in peace is my fav way to start the day! Taking a few moments to savor my coffee, and reflect on my thoughts and feelings can help me feel more centered and focused as I begin my day.
Waking up earlier and dedicating this extra time to yourself is the first step to creating a morning time for yourself. Whether you choose to meditate, exercise, or simply enjoy a cup of coffee, taking the time to focus on yourself in the morning can help you feel more energized, focused, and ready to tackle the day ahead.
Step 2: Streamline Your Routine
By streamlining my morning routine, I can save time and reduce stress. What does this look like? This can really be anything that helps make your morning easier. It could include preparing my outfit the night before, prepping coffee or my lunch ahead of time, or using a to-do list to plan my day. I realized that by taking the time to plan and organize my morning activities, I have a sense of control and clarity, which is essential for a productive and fulfilling day ahead. Here are some ways I do it:
● Prepare My Outfit the Night Before - This may sound simple, yet this has saved me so much time because it is a great way to avoid the morning stress. We deal with enough stress already, why spend time trying to decide what to wear in the midst of it? Just think, now you won't have to say "I have nothing to wear!"
● Prepare Breakfast Ahead of Time - Whether it's making overnight oats, preparing a smoothie, or simply having a hard-boiled egg on hand, having a nutritious and satisfying breakfast ready to go in the morning always helps me to start the day on the right foot.
● Make a To-Do List - Whether writing it down in my journal or making lists on my phone, by taking the time to plan and organize my tasks for the day, I can organize and prioritize which tasks need to be done first. This has been a lifesaver – it makes me feel more in control and less overwhelmed by the demands of the day.
A well-structured morning routine helps save time and make the most of each day. It provides me with a clear plan for the day; knowing what needs to be done, keeping stress at bay. We all want that feeling of slow mornings and not rushing to get out of the door. A streamlined routine has always helped me to become a better mom and physician.
Step 3: Prioritize Self-Care
I cannot emphasize this one enough: prioritize self-care. Whenever I practice self-care, I am practicing self-compassion and self-love. It is a simple assurance that despite being busy and occupied for the rest of the day, I still have my morning time to myself. For me, incorporating
self-care into my routine can help me start my day with a clear and positive mindset. Self-care is essential for maintaining our physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
By making time each morning for activities that recharge and refresh you, there’s a huge chance that your day will always be productive and fulfilling. Here are simple ways I do this:
● Reading - Whether it's a book, a magazine, or a daily devotional, taking the time to read in the morning always helps me start the day with a sense of calm and focus. Reading can expand your knowledge and stimulate your mind, which can be beneficial for the rest of your day -especially when you are faced with tough decision-making. If you need a good book to start your day right, my book, Brave Boundaries is the right one for you. This will help you set clear limits and boundaries, and emphasizes the importance of self-care to lead a fulfilling life.
● Journaling - Another self-care activity that I always do is journaling or writing down my thoughts. My creative juices tend to flow the moment I wake up so by taking time to reflect on my thoughts and feelings, I have clarity and a sense of direction. Journaling can also help in processing emotions, setting goals, and tracking progress, which can be a powerful tool for personal growth and self-improvement. As women physicians we carry the weight of our patients, mentally. Journaling can be an effective tool that releases all those emotions and thoughts.
Incorporating these simple strategies into your routine can help create more time for yourself in the morning, giving you a positive and healthy mindset to get through each day. Of course, remember to be patient and flexible in establishing these new habits, and always make room for adjustments. So, take a step towards a healthier, more fulfilling life and create morning time for yourself to become a better woman physician each day.
Starting the Day Right is a Priority
Starting the day right as a physician with a healthy balance between work, family, and personal life is crucial for many reasons:
● Improved Well-being: A balanced approach to our daily routine can lead to better physical and mental health, reduce stress levels, and increase overall happiness.
● Better Time Management: Allocating time to different aspects of life can help us manage priorities, ensuring we complete important tasks on time.
● Improved Professionalism: By taking care of ourselves, we can perform our best at work and maintain high standards of professionalism.
● Better Work-Life Balance: Balancing our professional and personal life can help reduce burnout and prevent feelings of overwhelm.
● Stronger Relationships: Spending quality time with our family and loved ones can improve relationships and strengthen bonds, leading to a more fulfilling personal life.
A great day boils down to having a good start. And as a woman physician, this should be a top priority and a daily reminder that we should start the day off with the right mindset set up for productivity, self-love, and success.
No to Chaotic Mornings
Let’s do a quick check in.
● Do you feel like your mornings are a chaotic mess?
● Are you constantly rushing around, trying to get everything done before you have to head out the door?
● Do you feel like you never have enough time to focus on yourself and your well-being?
Did you say yes to any of these? If so, it's time to make a change. It's time to build a healthy mindset and routine that will help you start your day with purpose and clarity. And the good news is, you don't have to do it alone. Join my FREE three-part webinar series: The Best You Yet: Three Myths to Unlearn to Take Back Your Time in 2023.
In this series, we’ll break free from the limiting beliefs, myths, and misconceptions that are holding you back and discover the secrets to taking back your time and building a healthy and fulfilling morning routine. So don't wait, sign up today and start your journey to becoming the best you yet here!
Make it a Lasting Habit
Making morning time for yourself is a good habit to keep. However, making it impactful and lasting can be tricky and challenging. And I have the perfect solution for that, the Brave Balance: The Brave Enough CME Master Class.
Brave Balance is a proven process designed specifically for professional women who are looking to create balance in their lives. In this master class, you'll learn the tools and strategies you need to live an empowered life.
Say goodbye to feeling overextended, tapped out, unappreciated, and exhausted. Say hello to a life you love – both at work and at home. So, if you're ready to make a change and embrace your mornings with a newfound sense of balance and purpose, sign up for Brave Balance today here!
Having morning time is a valuable moment for us women physicians to reflect and appreciate the blessings in our lives, our purpose, and our strength. Despite the hectic and demanding nature of our profession, taking time to focus on these positive aspects can help us provide a sense of calm and motivation to face the challenges of the day ahead. By starting the day with the right and healthy mindset, a strong woman physician like you can handle everything with grace and gratitude.
Feeling stretched thin? I can show you 10 ways to get back TWO HOURS in your week!
DOWNLOAD MY FREE TOOLKIT AND GET BACK HOURS OF TIME IN YOUR WEEK.
YES, YOU CAN.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.